First things first. That 90’s wood had to go. This was our first and most daunting project, and I spent weeks researching the best products and procedures. We finally settled on the following.
- Jasco TSP Subsitute (any brand is fine)
- UMA Bonding Primer
- Insl-X Cabinet Coat Paint
- Large Sponge
- 2 x Paint Roller Handless w/8 Smooth Surface Rollers
- 2 x Mini Paint Brushes
- 2 x Paint Trays
- 1 x Drop Cloth
- 1 x Roll Painters Tape
- 22 x silver handles
- 35 x silver hinges
- Cordless Drill (not necessary, but makes your life easier!)
- Remove all doors and hardware.
- De-gloss every surface with TSP Substitute to remove any unseen dirt and grime.
- Sand all cabinets, doors and drawers, and wipe clean again.
- Apply one coat of primer to front and back, letting dry a few hours in between.
- Apply three coats of paint, again letting dry a few hours in between.
- Tape edges and paint/prime cabinet bases inside the RV.
- Attach shiny new handles and hinges, and return all doors and drawers to where they belong.
Note: It’s important you clean the TSP off fully after de-glossing, or the paint takes on a yellow tinge from the residue. Also, we experimented with brushes and rollers, and found the latter to work much better. We used mini brushes to get into difficult edges and corners, then rollers for the main / finishing coats.
It took weeks (working on and off) before this whole process was done, but it was well worth it!